Monday, May 2, 2011

Rational Reactions to Revenge

 I suspect more than a few people are put ill at ease over the celebrations in the street after the putative assassination of OBL.  So here is a list of more rational, or at least interesting reactions from bloggers.

  Bradley Radko reflects on how a decade long hunt for what is now largely a figurehead has affected the US.

  Author and photoblogger Linh Dinh voices his thought process on Dissident Voice.

  Political Cartoonist, Mr. Fish, adds some context to his cynical reaction to the news.

  Washington's Blog provides the usual deluge of links and sources in questioning why the US has only just succeeded in finding (and killing) OBL.

  An evangelical pastor says, "Joyfully celebrating the killing of a killer who joyfully celebrated killing carries an irony that I hope will not be lost on us."

  It took until Monday afternoon before I saw the pictures and video of Americans celebrating the assassination outside the white house.  I find, in my gut, the same feeling of consternation I felt when I watched Bush Jr. with a megaphone chanting "USA, USA" on top of the World Trade Center rubble.  It seems like an odd symmetry to this violent man's path across my field of view.

Rather macabre for a first post.

Les

No comments:

Post a Comment

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot [comment],' then by all means [comment], and that voice will be silenced."
Vincent Van Gogh